Sunday 26 January 2014

Money

Who doesn't. Come on now. Be honest. Even if you don't consciously think you do, you do.

"How much is this?"

"How much could I save if I did this?"

"One day I want to buy this."

"Ooohhhhhhh. Waitrose Sausage Roll reduced to 20p!"

Especially as a student. We're always penny pinching. Seeing how far we can stretch our money is practically our occupation, if it weren't for all the studying we are meant to do. What's the lowest quality of product you are willing to go for in order to save money? 11p instant noodles? Chicken nuggets now with 10% more chicken?! (Now 55% chicken instead of 45%! Yeah, makes you think, right!) Where can we save money in order to be able to spend a bit more on alcohol?!

It's funny how differently we think of money. Money often means other things. A recent conversation with some of my esteemed fellow students went something along the lines of:

Fellow Student 1- "I can earn about £300 a week if I get that summer job! That's £600 in a fortnight!"

Me- "That's a one way flight to Chicago."

Fellow Student 2- "Think of all the chocolate bars you can buy with that!"

What we were all thinking- "Think of all the nights out you can have with that!"

By subconsciously thinking of money in other terms, we are all obsessing about it, we just don't realize it. We all need it to get the majority of the things we want. I didn't say it was a bad obsession. It's a necessary one if you have dreams and aspirations, which we all do, they're good things to have. Just so long as money doesn't become the primary obsession, or the foundation to an obsession with power.

To me, money = travel. Of course it does nowadays. My daydreams are spent planning my next adventure! To get there though, I must first get off my lazy ass and get me some dinero!

I leave you with the words of Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus of Abba fame: "Money, money, money!"

American Adventure?
(Picture from this website

No comments:

Post a Comment